Thursday, September 1, 2011

Coastal Inspirations from Nantucket

Sconset Lighthouse

This summer my family headed north for cooler temps and New England charm to the historic island of Nantucket.  A favorite getaway of my NYC-based sister and her husband, Nantucket provided our family of six the perfect escape from the oppressive Southern heat at the end of July.

From long bike rides and afternoon sails to perusing the fresh produce at Bartlett's Farm and enjoying a sun downer at The Straight Warf, we spent seven glorious days of R&R in a cottage on the beach in Wauwinet.  With my style compass set for my new home's decor:  Coastal Cottage meets Classic French Country with a touch of Parisian Chic (Emily Henderson of HGTV's style diagnostic would surely peg Jeff as "Coastal Cottage" and me as "French Country"), I found a lot of inspiration while on the island.

Summer Bluff cottage in Sconset

Nantucket is a treasure trove of classic New England coastal style from the antique and furnishings shops downtown to the private homes in my favorite neighborhood of Sconset.  Here are a few pictures from my decorating scrapbook which will surely have you dreaming of a Labor Day vacation--Nantucket style.

I would love a wrap around porch like this someday



I loved this classic cane chair in a white wash--
very Coastal style meets French design

luxurious cashmere throws to bundle up on cool Nantucket nights

what says "coastal" more than a coral based lamp?

I like this tufted "apartment sofa" with coral motif pillows

Jeff and I were both in love with these fish prints created in a style called
gyotaku which is Japanese art of imprinting fish

This is the shape and grommet edging of a headboard I'd
like for our master bed once we upgrade to a king

Fun yellow statement chair for a family room or kids room


The sunset on our last night from Waiwinet, the perfect ending
to a wonderful week on the island

I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend with friends and family.  Savor the last days of summer, I know we will be doing just that.  Bon weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...