Friday, April 22, 2011

Beach Combing: Inspirations from Coastal Carolina

view of the sound from our porch
Last weekend I tossed a few items into an overnight bag and drove five hours south for a much-needed girls' trip at the beach.  We were six friends gathering to celebrate the upcoming wedding of one of my oldest, dearest friends. Her fiance's mother has a towering, airy summer house on a narrow strip of North Carolina coast and lucky for us, they opened their home for our getaway. Situated next to the Wrightsville yacht club, across from the picturesque beach, and facing the deep blue waters of the sound, I immediately felt the stresses of the week melt away as I unpacked my belongings and sipped a pineapple mimosa freshly juiced by the bride-to-be.

Lumina Station store fronts
Between long conversations in rocking chairs on the porch, sampling delicious local food, and drinking our fair share of champagne, we spent Saturday afternoon exploring the shops of Wilmington's Lumina Station.  Most of us found a few pieces in Monkees, known for its bright bold dresses and trendy, affordable accessories. Of course I was more interested in taking home the preppy print bench or the set of blue and yellow upholstererd chairs, than trying on the pink ruffle Milly dress waiting for me in a dressing room.




Two other home stores we found inspiring in Lumina Station were Arlie Moon and Paysage. I wove through Paysage's showroom snapping pictures of furnishings and accessories that caught my eye. The soothing beiges, browns, oranges and whites had a tranporting effect, perfect for a beach house palate. Arlie Moon was a treasure trove of vintage inspired pieces from colorful sea glass bottles to crystal bauble chandeliers.

zebra square at Paysage;
unique idea for additional seating in a living room

coral rug from Paysage

Airlie Moon couch and throw pillows

vintage chandelier from Airlie Moon

Arlie Moon dog beds in fun prints


Swatches from Airlie Moon
(I would love to cover an occasional chair in the brown fabric)

Sea glass bottles from Arlie Moon
Returning home on Sunday I was filled with new coastal inspirations for my Norfolk Nest. My proximity to the river and ocean will be an inspiration for design. Creating a sense of escapism with interiors can be hard to achieve, but something I will strive for in decorating a few of the rooms in my first home.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post! I returned home to find that my mother had sent me the Costal Living: Beach House Style coffee table book....page after turquoise page of coast-inspired rooms and homes. I've already dog-eared a few pages for you and Jeff!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...