Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ahoy Matey!

(mividabonita
One of my favorite Samantha Jones' quotes from "Sex and The City" is when she spies handsome navy officers walking down the street during NYC's Fleet Week. Taking off her dark shades, she announces, "Ahoy Matey!"

I grew up in Central Virginia, and thus my husband dubs me "a land lubber." While he spent his summers sailing in North Carolina, I prefered the dry ground of hunt country on the back of horse.  But despite my propensity for land over sea, I fully admit I'm looking forward to living near the water in Norfolk (the city sits at 3" above sea level).  I plan to draw decorating inspiration from my coastal surroundings and to me there is nothing more crisp than the classic combination of navy and white.  The nautical color palate is preppy, whimsical and it doesn't have to be reserved for a child's room, if done tastefully.  I'm going to cast my decorating net wide to incorporate a few seafaring accents in our first house.

(modernwingchairs.com)
(Laura Casey Interiors)
you can create your own pillow on his website
(Johnathan Adler)
The "Nautical Room" within a home in River Dunes, NC
(Coastal Living)
crisp white chair and desk
(brightboldandbeautiful)
a pair of navy chairs in velvet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...