Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Color Pops

(tracery interiors)

I'm not afraid of color, but I like to keep it contained."-- Mark Gillette

I loved the spread in this February's issue of the UK's House & Garden featuring the Manchester apartment of interior designer Mark Gillette.  His cosmopolitan glamour of clean lines, rich fabrics, and art deco furnishings, is a distinct style I'd like to replicate when designing my first home.  I plan to use color, but in moderation, tightly tailored pops of color that draw your eye to unique accent pieces.  Here are some pictures from the issue of Mark Gillette's flat (all images courtesy of House & Garden).

Hermes oragne--j'adore


Mark Gillette's use of color is best described in the quote opening this post.  It's also my personal design taste when it comes to integrating color into a space.  For my first place, I plan to use mostly black, white, grey, beige, dark brown palates with bold color accents and plentiful mirror and glass that add dimension to a room.  Here are some interiors that use color as a pop versus a backdrop.

love the chair, love the disco ball, love the curved stone mantle, love everything
(Dylan Thomas for British Vogue)
while this room is too modern for my first home, orange is one of my favorite colors
(moderninteriordesigns.blogspot.com)
the shape of these yellow chairs compliments the geometric design of the window valance
The Viceroy Hotel in Palm Springs, room decorated by the color maven Kelly Wearstler
(herbchambers.com)

turquoise is one of my favorite accent colors
(Suzanne Kasler)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...